[Mpi-forum] Status of vendor MPI 3.0 RMA implementations

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 09:27:12 CDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> writes:
>>> Perhaps a test suite should be gathered so that we can start to automate
>>> checking for implementation bugs/incomplete implementations.  Bugs
>>> encountered in vendor implementations have been huge time sinks for a
>>> number of colleagues and for myself.  This includes deadlock in
>>> MPI_Bcast and MPI_Comm_split, within the past year.
>>
>> You mean like http://git.mpich.org/mpich.git/tree/HEAD:/test/mpi?
>
> I was thinking more of integration tests, such as the work you are doing
> with ARMCI-MPI.  We test compilers not just by their test suite, but
> also by whether they can correctly build large projects without needing
> workarounds.  Every large MPI-based project I'm aware of contains
> workarounds for MPI implementation bugs that have been encountered over
> the years.

A CMU grad student wrote an arXiv paper (Rajeev may have shared it to
the Forum already, else I can repost) that summarized
application/library usage of MPI with an emphasis on coverage.  While
it was a small set of codes, the coverage of the standard was pretty
good (in part because yours truly suggested some projects that very
aggressively adopt new features of the MPI standard).

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com