[Mpi-forum] MPI_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_DATAREP error class definition scoped too tightly

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 13 12:02:45 CDT 2014

Hi folks,

The standard defines MPI_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_DATAREP as an I/O error class, with the meaning "Unsupported datarep passed to MPI_FILE_SET_VIEW".  However, datareps are also passed as input to MPI_PACK_EXTERNAL and MPI_UNPACK_EXTERNAL.  Shouldn't these functions use the same error class for unsupported datareps, rather than MPI_ERR_ARG?

Can we update the description of MPI_ERR_UNSUPPORTED_DATAREP (page 551, line 10) to also include MPI_PACK_EXTERNAL and MPI_UNPACK_EXTERNAL as a ticket-0 item for MPI 3.1, or will this need to happen in a later version?

Thanks,
-Fab