[Mpi-forum] Reserved MPI_ prefix & namespace in C and Fortran

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Fri Aug 24 15:24:09 CDT 2012

Dave and Nick,

latest text is general, with some examples,
as Bill proposed and you, Dave, also requested.
Okay so?

Nick, I chose the examples mainly based on what is really
used in the MPI standard.
Fortran, yes procedures is the combination of functions and subroutines,
change is really needed, because it is wording about Fortran.
The other things in Fortran are not used in MPI, but still touched by
the general word "names", because future MPI versions can use them.

And I tried to sort the examples in similar sequence in all languages.

C:
>   "Programs must not declare
       names (identifiers), e.g., for variables, functions,
       constants, types, or macros,
>    beginning with the prefix MPI_."

Fortran:
>   "Programs must not declare
       names, e.g., for variables, procedures, parameters,
       derived types, abstract interfaces, or modules,
>    beginning with the prefix MPI_.

C++
>   "Programs must not declare
       names (identifiers), e.g., for variables, functions,
       constants, types, or macros,
>    in the namespace MPI."

Now okay?

Rolf