[Mpi-forum] Reserved MPI_ prefix & namespace in C and Fortran

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 15:38:51 CDT 2012

On Aug 24 2012, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:

>Nick, I chose the examples mainly based on what is really
>used in the MPI standard.
>Fortran, yes procedures is the combination of functions and subroutines,
>change is really needed, because it is wording about Fortran.
>The other things in Fortran are not used in MPI, but still touched by
>the general word "names", because future MPI versions can use them.

The trouble is that even things that you DON'T use can conflict!
For example, in Fortran, COMMON block names will clash with external
procedure names and BIND(C) variable names in modules.  C is, as always,
orders of magnitude more complicated :-(

However, if they are merely examples, it doesn't matter.  Forbidding
even local names is harsher than needed, but is at least simple.
Like you, I teach the students not to use ANY name beginning with
MPI_, anywhere, though I personally know when it is safe to do so!

Well, I assume that you teach that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.