[Mpi3-tools] Bad handle return error code

Kathryn Mohror kathryn at llnl.gov
Thu Jul 25 16:03:29 CDT 2013

Hi everybody,

I got asked a question from Nathan:

What should (MPI_T_pvar_read, _write, _reset, etc) return if bad handle is given?

He gave this example of erroneous code:
{
 MPI_T_pvar_session session1, session2;
 MPI_T_pvar_handle handle;
 char buffer[256];
 int count;

 MPI_T_pvar_session_create (&session1);
 MPI_T_pvar_session_create (&session2);

 MPI_T_pvar_handle_alloc (session1, 0, NULL, &handle, &count);

 MPI_T_pvar_start (session1, handle);

 /* erroneus statement. should return MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_SESSION or MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE */
 MPI_T_pvar_read (session2, handle, buffer);
}

I argue it should return MPI_T_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE since the session is good, it's just that the handle doesn’t match.

Do you all agree? If so, we should specify it since it's ambiguous. I believe this is an errata item.

Kathryn
Kathryn Mohror, kathryn at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/mohror1
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, USA