[mpiwg-sessions] MPI_Buffer_attach in the sessions model

Dan Holmes danholmes at chi.scot
Sat Sep 17 09:23:34 CDT 2022

Hi Rolf & Tony,

With current text, MPI-4.0, all sessions and world model buffered send operations would use the same attached buffer. This is likely to be implemented correctly but it breaches the intent of separation of resources used by different sessions, so is not ideal.

A new buffer attach API could be designed to be more in keeping with the intent of sessions. A per-session buffer and a per-communicator buffer are both options to consider. There’s no GitHub issue or PR for this new API yet. Addressing this should fall under the remit of the sessions WG and will probably target MPI-5.0 at the earliest.

Thanks for raising this point.

Cheers,
Dan.

Sent from my iPhone