[mpiwg-rma] Joint RMA & Semantic Terms Meeting this Thursday

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Oct 26 08:58:05 CDT 2022

Dear all,

the attached .doc is the result of the long work for semantic terms
in the MPI forum for MPI-4.0 plus 10 further steps by Dan, Joseph and myself.

The text should be provided as PR for
https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/493 (not yet done)

Two additional issues are related:
https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/499 for MPI_WIN_TEST,
and
https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/468 for MPI_REQUEST_GET_STATUS.

The whole work should not modify the definition of MPI.
It should only write down the existing semantics of MPI,
which is or was for many people (including the MPI forum) a bit a
hidden secret as the many discussions about the definition of the right
wording of "local" and "nonlocal" made obvious 2019 during the forum meetings.

The discussion also showed that there is one special topic with MPI shared memory RMA
as you can see on the page 3 of the attached .doc

Kind regards
Rolf