[mpiwg-p2p] Next meeting: 5th January 2015 11am Central US

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 09:39:27 CST 2015

Hi All,

Apologies for missing the meeting.  There was a lot of discussion at the
Forum about the validity of restricting the application's behavior using
info keys (or, if you prefer, the application asserting its behavior
through info keys).  Folks indicated that this qualifies as a semantic
change for the given communicator, which is forbidden by Section 6.4.4 and
made more complicated because MPI_Comm_dup propagates info keys.

assertions interface that would allow the application to assert what its
behavior will be.  I will prepare this for discussion at a future WG
meeting.

In parallel, I have had discussions with others who feel that the opinion
expressed at the Forum meeting is incorrect; that it should be valid to
provide hints on application behavior through info keys.

At the same time, the straw vote at the December meeting indicated that the
Forum as a whole would like to pursue this capability for the MPI
standard.  So, much more discussion and debate is needed.  Looking forward
to it,

 ~Jim.