[Mpiwg-large-counts] Large Count - the principles for counts, sizes, and byte and nonbyte displacements

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:35:49 CDT 2019

Rolf:

Before anybody spends any time analyzing how we handle segmented
addressing, I want you to provide an example of a platform where this is
relevant.  What system can you boot today that needs this and what MPI
libraries have expressed an interest in supporting it?

For anyone who didn't hear, ISO C and C++ have finally committed to
twos-complement integers (
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p0907r1.html,
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2218.htm) because modern
programmers should not be limited by hardware designs from the 1960s.  We
should similarly not waste our time on obsolete features like segmentation.

Jeff

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/