[mpiwg-languages] MPI Languages WG

Holmes, Daniel John daniel.john.holmes at intel.com
Mon Oct 10 06:59:55 CDT 2022

HI Martin,

Should we search for a different/better time & day for these Languages WG meetings?
Also, I pruned the cc list to remove subscribers to the WG's email list. How many non-subscribers (those in cc for this email) want to receive these emails?
If you're cc'd here, then you're not subscribed (with that email address); if you want to be, please go here and sign up:

Some of the discussion on side documents was captured by Wes in a summary comment on Issue 562:
https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/562#issuecomment-1263956090

Based on the discussion on 2022-09-30:

  *   We need to unify and better specify the terminology on these documents between the website, procedures document, and this proposal.
  *   It sounds like this is proposing having at least three categories of documents:
     *   Normative side-documents (e.g., new language documents, MQD?, MPIR?)
     *   Non-normative side-documents (e.g., exploratory features)
     *   Organizational side-documents (e.g. JOD, instructions for preparing the doc)
  *   This proposal will need to include changes to the procedures that define any new categories.
  *   We may also need to include (either with this proposal or very soon afterward) changes to the existing documents to make them compatible with the new definitions.
Additional notes:

  *   The Languages WG wants to add normative side-documents containing optional bindings for additional languages (e.g. C++, Python, ...)
  *   The HACC WG wants to add normative side-documents containing optional bindings for language extensions (e.g. CUDA, SYCL, ...)
  *   The HACC WG wants to add (non-)normative side-documents containing experimental features (e.g. continuations, streams/queues, ...)
  *   The JOD was excised from the MPI-4.x branch (after the MPI-4.0 release) by the document editor; adding it back in might be A Bad Thing (tm)
  *   Changes to all existing (companion/associated/side-)documents to make them conform is (significant?) scope-creep.

Best wishes,
Dan.