[Mpi3-ft] Defining the state of MPI after an error

Richard Treumann treumann at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 20 12:03:09 CDT 2010

Sorry Bronis -

I did not intend to ignore your use case.

I did mention that I have no worries about asking MPI implementations to
refrain from blocking future MPI calls after an error is detected.  That
was an implicit recognition of your use case.

The MPI standard already forbids having an MPI call on one thread block
progress on other threads.  I would interpret that to include a case where
a thread is blocked in a collective communication or a MPI_Recv that will
never be satisfied. That is, the blocked MPI call cannot prevent other
threads from using libmpi.  Requiring libmpi to release any lock it took
even when doing an error return would be logical but may not be implied by
what is currently written.

Communicators provide a sort of isolation that keeps stray crap from
failed operations from spilling over (such as eager sent message for which
the MPI_Recv failed).  If the tool uses its own threads and private
communicators, I agree it is reasonable to ask any libmpi to avoid
sabotaging that communication.

Where I get concerned is when we start talking about affirmative
requirements for distributed  MPI state after an error

                   Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

From:
"Bronis R. de Supinski" <bronis at llnl.gov>
To:
"MPI 3.0 Fault Tolerance and Dynamic Process Control working Group"
<mpi3-ft at lists.mpi-forum.org>