[Mpi3-ft] Defining the state of MPI after an error

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Mon Sep 20 12:09:46 CDT 2010

Dick:

Re:
> I did not intend to ignore your use case.

No problem.

> I did mention that I have no worries about asking MPI implementations
> to refrain from blocking future MPI calls after an error is detected.
> That was an implicit recognition of your use case.

OK, that helps.

> The MPI standard already forbids having an MPI call on one thread block
> progress on other threads.  I would interpret that to include a case
> where a thread is blocked in a collective communication or a MPI_Recv
> that will never be satisfied. That is, the blocked MPI call cannot
> prevent other threads from using libmpi.  Requiring libmpi to release
> any lock it took even when doing an error return would be logical but
> may not be implied by what is currently written.

The current text provides no such guarantee. Once anerror is
returned anywhere, all bets are off (at least that is how I
have read it; I would need to go back through the text to
find the exact words that cause my concern).

> Communicators provide a sort of isolation that keeps stray crap from
> failed operations from spilling over (such as eager sent message for
> which the MPI_Recv failed).  If the tool uses its own threads and
> private communicators, I agree it is reasonable to ask any libmpi to
> avoid sabotaging that communication.

That would be perfect from my perspective.

> Where I get concerned is when we start talking about affirmative
> requirements for distributed  MPI state after an error

I don't think we can have those beyond "best effort".
The errors may indicate problems that make further
communication impossible -- perhaps because of the
erroneous action or just due to the state of the
network or other processes. I do think we can require
accurate return values and have an advice to implementers
that suggests best effort following errors. I believe
that would satisfy my requirements.

Bronis