[Mpi3-ft] Defining the state of MPI after an error

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Mon Sep 20 11:44:59 CDT 2010

Dick:

You seem to be ignoring my use case. Specifically, I
have tool threads that use MPI. Their use of MPI should
be unaffected by all of the scenarios that you are raising.
However, the standard provides no way for me to tell if
they work correctly in these situations. I just have to
cross my fingers and hope.

FYI: Your implementation has long met this requirement
(my hopes are not dashed with it). Others have begun to
recently. In any event, I would like some way to tell...

Further, it is useful in many other scenarios apply to know
that the implementation intends to remain usable. I am not
looking for a promise of correct execution; I am looking
for a promise of best effort and accurate return codes.

Bronis