[Mpi3-ft] Con Call on 1/4/2009

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 21 10:05:07 CST 2009

Actually, something came up and I won't be able to make this con call
either. However, I hope that we can have a good discussion over
email. While I did not document the protocol in full algorithmic
detail, I can point people to some of my prior papers such as
http://greg.bronevetsky.com/papers/2003PPoPP.pdf as evidence that
systems like this that work above MPI have successfully been
implemented in the past.

Josh, you make a good point that relying on heavy-weight support in
order to make the API useful suggests that the API is insufficient.
My point in drafting my solution is that the only component required
to make the API useful is one that does not need additional API
modifications and thus, does not need to be standardized. Of course,
we could put in the appropriate components into the official API but
that would make it weaker rather than stronger. I can point to the
ABI debate as an analogy for what I'm suggesting here. Option 1 is to
standardize the ABI. Option 2 is to develop a heavy-weight support
tool like MorphMPI that makes the current API more useful (i.e.
resolves most of the issues that motivate the ABI) and does not
require any additional standardization. I think that most people
agree that Option 2 is the better choice.

The point here is that Fault Tolerance is hard and it requires a lot
of runtime support to make application-implemented fault tolerance
reasonably easy. We've identified much of the critical functionality
that must be inside MPI in order for such functionality to be enjoyed
by applications. We are now also identifying possible additional
libraries that may also be necessary to make the API usable but that
do not need to be standardized. In particular, we will probably come
up with several such libraries that support a variety of application
types (consider the minimal support required for monte carlo codes or
non-modular codes), which is further evidence that this component,
while important, should not be standardized.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451
Lawrence Livermore National Lab