[MPI3 Fortran] MPI_INIT issues

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 05:50:33 CST 2013

On Feb 21 2013, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:

>Then, I would expect, this ticket is simple and a self-explaining
>good and ***necessary*** extension for MPI-next.
>
>Exactly this rational is the basis that all C programming Forum
>members will see the necessity.

Eh?  I assuredly count as one of them, and I don't see the necessity.

Over a decade ago, I decided that it was a mistake for MPI to pass
arguments to MPI_Init in C, and it was done only to make life easier
for some rather PVM-like implementations.  I would have preferred MPI
to say "Tough.  Implementations must pass MPI's options in some way
that does not affect the user's argument list."  The MPI 2.0 C++
interface people seemed to think the same.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.