[MPI3 Fortran] MPI function symbol naming convention for tools

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Jun 27 09:21:57 CDT 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Rasmussen, Craig wrote:

> I finally have had a chance to read through all of the responses.
> Hopefully I can clarify a few things without muddying the waters
> further.
>
> If Martin is correct and no tools support the "use mpi" option, then
> things are pretty simple.
>
> 1. mpih.f option:  For the immediate future this works as it always
> has.  I was only suggesting to deprecate it.  But on reconsideration,
> I think this is the wrong thing to do.  We are trying to deprecate
> mpih.f itself so the tools using mpih.f can continue using the current
> naming convention as long as mpih.f stays around.  Fortran users could
> write an MPI_Send routine and it would work with the PMPI interface as
> before (at least as I understand how this works).

I don't think we can deprecate mpif.h -- Rolf outlined the reasons why in one of our Chicago Forum meetings (some organizations outlaw the use of *any* "deprecated" interface).  Rolf's text from the last meeting had strongly worded language advising people not to use mpif.h, but stopped short of deprecating it.

> 2. use mpi or use mpi_f08 option:  We would mandate that these
> interfaces supply the names mpi_send_f, mpi_send_f_nostatus,
> mpi_send_desc, and mpi_send_desc_nostatus.  The problem comes when a
> Fortran user want to use the PMPI interface.  I need to understand
> this more and write some tests and examples we can all look at.
>
> So I suggest we schedule a conference call sometime next week (after July 5).

That would be good.  I think that at least the following should attend (others are welcome, of course):

- Craig
- Jeff
- Rolf
- Martin
- Hubert

I'll post a doodle for scheduling shortly.  Note that 4 July is a holiday in the US; many (including me) also take the 5th as vacation to make it a 4-day weekend.

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: