[MPI3 Fortran] MPI function symbol naming convention for tools

Rasmussen, Craig crasmussen at newmexicoconsortium.org
Mon Jun 27 08:42:23 CDT 2011

I finally have had a chance to read through all of the responses.
Hopefully I can clarify a few things without muddying the waters
further.

If Martin is correct and no tools support the "use mpi" option, then
things are pretty simple.

1. mpih.f option:  For the immediate future this works as it always
has.  I was only suggesting to deprecate it.  But on reconsideration,
I think this is the wrong thing to do.  We are trying to deprecate
mpih.f itself so the tools using mpih.f can continue using the current
naming convention as long as mpih.f stays around.  Fortran users could
write an MPI_Send routine and it would work with the PMPI interface as
before (at least as I understand how this works).

2. use mpi or use mpi_f08 option:  We would mandate that these
interfaces supply the names mpi_send_f, mpi_send_f_nostatus,
mpi_send_desc, and mpi_send_desc_nostatus.  The problem comes when a
Fortran user want to use the PMPI interface.  I need to understand
this more and write some tests and examples we can all look at.

So I suggest we schedule a conference call sometime next week (after July 5).

-craig