[MPI3 Fortran] MPI Fortran bindings

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Fri Jun 5 14:42:52 CDT 2009

Recall that J3 was asked by Craig (representing the MPI group) to add
type(*) just for this reason.  That is what should be specified.  If a
particular implementation cannot support this in an explicit interface,
then it is no worse than the current <type>. I would argue that type(*)
is more intuitive to a Fortran programmer than <type>.  Eventually,
their compiler will "grow into" accepting it.  Given that many compiler
vendors already support some form of directive for "ignore the type in
interface argument checks", I don't think that type(*) will be that hard
for vendors to implement.

Bill Long                                   longb at cray.com