[MPI3 Fortran] MPI Fortran bindings

Aleksandar Donev donev1 at llnl.gov
Fri Jun 5 14:24:56 CDT 2009

On Friday 05 June 2009 12:16, Lionel, Steve wrote:

> Not much of anything, really, if we choose not to go the C_PTR route.
This is a deep and fundamental change to the old interface.

TYPE(C_PTR), VALUE :: address_of_buffer

is fundamentally different from

TYPE(type_of_buffer), DIMENSION(*), INTENT(IN) :: buffer

I hate C_PTR, personally...

> Just the interface alone, with the placeholder, doesn't say much.  I
> suppose words would have to be added saying that the argument must
> have a defined type.
Unless such words are added, your:
> The way it
> would be declared in the actual interface block would not allow a
> CLASS(*) actual except within a SELECT TYPE block.
would in my interpretation become a non conforming implementation. "Any
type" really means "any type", unless you say something more. Otherwise
you are back to the horrors of MPI-1's Fortran interface...

Best,
Aleks

--
Aleksandar Donev, Ph.D.
Lawrence Postdoctoral Fellow @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
E-mail: donev1 at llnl.gov
Phone: (925) 424-6816  Fax: (925) 423-0785
Address: P.O.Box 808, L-367, Livermore, CA 94551-9900
Web: http://cims.nyu.edu/~donev/