[Mpi-forum] Next MPI Forum Locations

Schulz Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Thu May 26 00:17:29 CDT 2016

Hi all,

During the upcoming MPI forum meeting in June we need to plan for the next
set of locations and dates in 2017. The goal will, as always, be to a) find
locations that are cost effective for the forum; b) times that don¹t class
with other HPC events; and c) to ensure the most people can come. For next
year, though, we have a few anomalies that need to be discussed and so I am
writing this email as a heads-up. If you want to respond with some early
comments, please do so. Also, if you can¹t make it to the meeting in June,
but would like your voice heard, please send me email or respond to the
group. We¹ll take all of this into account during the discussion and
decision in Bellevue.

The biggest anomaly is that EuroMPI is in Chicago next year. The exact dates
are: September 25-28, 2017

Since EuroMPI was traditionally our 1 in 4 slot to be not in the US, we have
to decide what do do ­ as I see it, we have three options:
* Not do any meeting outside the US next year ­ this will severely impact
the ability to attend for some folks, especially from Europe, as far as I
* Pick one of the other meetings and go outside the US for that instead of
the September meeting ­ without EuroMPI, this can severely impact US-based
attendance. The suggestion in this case would be to combine the forum
meeting with a large event that many may be traveling to anyway ­ ISC in
Frankfurt (6/17-6/21) could fit that bill and RWTH Aachen in conjunction
with JSC has tentative agreed to explore hosting us in Aachen the week
before ISC (only about a 1-2 hour train ride between Aachen and Frankfurt
and the facilities in Aachen have worked well for previous similar meetings)
- thanks to Marc-Andre for helping explore this option!
* We could stick with the schedule and go outside the US in September anyway
(without overlapping with EuroMPI, of course :) ).
If we hold the MPI forum meeting next September in conjunction with EuroMPI
in Chicago, we have the additional problem that we likely need to leave a
gap of a full weekend between the forum and the conference (based on space
availability and having to avoid weekends) or pay extra. Is a co-location
still useful in this case?

Aside from these issues, we¹ll have the usual discussion of good locations ­
we had previously been hosted by Cisco in San Jose and various Microsoft
locations (Chicago, Portland, and now Bellevue) as well as we¹ll be in
Dallas at an IBM site in December. Would anyone of these hosts be willing to
host the forum again? SGI has also offered to host us in Eagan next year
(thanks to all previous and current hosts!). Anyone else willing to host the
forum in the US? 

As an additional item to think about: in 2018, EuroMPI will again be outside
the US and so we can go back to our normal routine. Additionally, though,
SIAM-PP will be in Tokyo in the spring of 2018 and I was approached by the
organizers whether we could co-locate the March forum meeting. The idea was
to help each other increase attendance based on the observation that a good
number of the regular MPI forum attendees were also part of SIAM-PP 2016,
which was in Paris. Are we interested in pursuing this? If so, in addition
or instead of EuroMPI?

Comments, Thoughts?



Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://scalability.llnl.gov/
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.mpi-forum.org/pipermail/mpi-forum/attachments/20160526/73065b22/attachment.html>

More information about the mpi-forum mailing list