[Mpi-forum] Next MPI Forum Locations

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:43:14 CDT 2016

> As an additional item to think about: in 2018, EuroMPI will again be
> outside the US and so we can go back to our normal routine. Additionally,
> though, SIAM-PP will be in Tokyo in the spring of 2018 and I was approached
> by the organizers whether we could co-locate the March forum meeting. The
> idea was to help each other increase attendance based on the observation
> that a good number of the regular MPI forum attendees were also part of
> SIAM-PP 2016, which was in Paris. Are we interested in pursuing this? If
> so, in addition or instead of EuroMPI?

I like SIAM-PP instead of EuroMPI because I am far more likely to attend
the former, and I shared the observation about how many folks were in Paris
for PP16.

However, it will likely hurt EuroMPI, because some institutions' travel
policies may not let folks attend foreign conferences that are not
top-tier, whereas attending an industry working group of which the
institution is a voting member is a compelling reason to travel.

It might be good to poll people on whether moving the MPI Forum decreases
the likelihood that they or their colleagues will submit to EuroMPI.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com