[Mpi-forum] Timeline for MPI 3.1

Schulz Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Tue Sep 2 19:03:37 CDT 2014

Hi all,

After discussing with the steering committee, I wanted to bring up the
following:

In one of the previous meetings we decided on the timeline for MPI 3.1: the
intent is to ratify the complete MPI 3.1 standard by the December meeting,
which makes the upcoming September meeting the last meeting to allow for
errata votes (actual additions had to be read in March). The main goal of
the MPI 3.1 document is/was to create a ³clean² standard that integrates
outstanding errata items and the small additions we worked on. While the
latter seem to be more or less done, we have multiple outstanding errata
items (in particular in RMA, but also a few in tools, potentially also in
other areas) that won¹t get done by the September meeting (the respective WG
chairs felt their wasn¹t enough time or participation in the Japan meeting
for their WG to allow for enough discussion).

If we stick with the current timeline, we¹ll have an MPI 3.1 and yet again a
good number of errata items next to it, which is counter the intention for
publishing an intermediate version before MPI 4.0. This means we are either
back in the same situation as now with MPI 3.0 for quite a while longer or
we have to go for an MPI 3.2. Neither option seems good.

Therefore, I would like to propose to not rush it and to slip the schedule
by one (or if needed by two) meetings to make sure we conclude the
outstanding errata items. Otherwise, we¹ll end up with a standard that we
know is broken by the time we vote for it (we would have the final document
vote and the MPI 3.1 errata votes in the same meeting).

Opinions?

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://scalability.llnl.gov/
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA