[Mpi-forum] which WG for generalized requests?

George Bosilca bosilca at icl.utk.edu
Sat Nov 22 23:01:49 CST 2014

I question the stability claim regarding this new ticket.

I was part of the original greq working group with Rob and Darius.
Unfortunately few notes remains from our meeting. If I recall correctly we
dropped the ball on this proposal for two reasons.
1) The potential use of MPI functions in the greq library. If the greq
library uses MPI for its own purposes, it has the potential to
expect/require some form of MPI progress (as it will have to call MPI_Test
or MPI_Wait) deep inside the greq progress function, function which is
called from the MPI progress. This lead to a recursive stack in the MPI
progress that was deemed undesirable and potentially error-prone.
2) The major assumption of the proposal, threads being undesirable, seemed
to be in contradiction with the hardware evolution (and with the fact that
some libraries had async progress).

Moreover, the proposal was extremely unclear how the greq progress function
interacts with the default progress engine of any MPI library other than
MPICH, and about how often the progress functions should be called,
especially when testing or waiting for multiple requests. Without such
guarantees it is almost impossible to write portable and efficient
libraries based on greq.

  George.