[Mpi-forum] MPI Forum voting rules: new version

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 21 15:02:48 CST 2013

Thanks for doing this. I have two comments:

1) There is no definition of what it means to "read" a proposal.  It should be made clear that a "reading" is a summary/discussion; it is not a line-by-line discussion of the text in plenary session (those have never been productive).

2) The requirement for each reading and vote at a distinct physical meeting makes more sense when meetings are frequent.  This requirement should be tied to the meeting frequency in some way.

I'm also concerned that the rules are attempting to use legislation to solve a deeper problem, having to do with the process by which we consider proposals.  Such an approach rarely works unless the underlying problem is fixed.  I do think that the suggestions for voters (chapter 3) is starting to get at this; it also needs a suggestions for proposers and for the committee.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign