[Mpi-forum] MPI "Allocate receive" proposal

Matthieu Dorier matthieu.dorier at irisa.fr
Sat Aug 31 04:30:25 CDT 2013

----- Mail original -----

Yes, this is what I'm thinking of. Yet reading the mails that I skipped yesterday, I can see now why it's still not good enough (because it requires a rendez-vous).

So maybe adding some parameters to MPI_Arecv? like MPI_Arecv(..., alloc_fn, free_fn) would be useful, to tell MPI what functions to use to allocate and free the buffer (the reason for providing the free_fn parameter also would be to recover from errors happening after the allocation but before the return from MPI_Arecv, in order not to have a memory leak that should be handled by the user. Besides, MPI_Mem_free could also select the user-provided free_fn for the buffer returned by MPI_Arecv, so that the user can always use the MPI_Mem_free abstraction.). Of course some constants like MPI_DEFAULT_ALLOC and MPI_DEFAULT_FREE could always provide a default way of allocating/freeing the buffer.

Matthieu