[Mpi-forum] Voting in July (and beyond)

David Solt dsolt at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 14 11:19:27 CDT 2012

> Even from this text, there is multiple possible interpretations.  :-\

Yes, but only one correct interpretation.

Dave

From:   Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at cisco.com>
Date:   06/14/2012 11:10 AM
Subject:        Re: [Mpi-forum] Voting in July (and beyond)
Sent by:        mpi-forum-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org

On Jun 14, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:

> Was nobody looking at our rules:
> http://meetings.mpi-forum.org/secretary/voting.php
> - Measures pass on simple majority.
> - Formal votes will be taken by roll.
>  If you are not present, your organization
>  does not vote (effectively the same as abstain).

Please see my prior emails (from a week or two ago) about this:

- there are multiple accepted definitions of "simple majority"
- "quorum" is not defined
- there is also a question of the definition of "not present" -- does that
not present in the room?  (which is how I have interpreted it, but there
has been some bending of that rule on occasion)  Or not present at the
meeting at all?  Or not present that day?  Or ...?

> Here you can see "abstain" == "not voting",
> and wiki clearly tells "simple majority"
> means more than 50% of the passed votes.

Even from this text, there is multiple possible interpretations.  :-\

> Why was there a discussion about this?
>
> Jeff, how old is this file?

SVN says:

r312 | jsquyres | 2010-06-16 16:30:51 -0400 (Wed, 16 Jun 2010) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/secretary/index.php
   A /trunk/secretary/voting.php

Add voting rules

The file has not changed since that date.

In mails a week or two ago, I discussed the history of the MPI-3
procedures document, too.

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: