[Mpi-forum] Voting in July (and beyond)

Mohamad Chaarawi chaarawi at hdfgroup.org
Thu Jun 14 11:48:28 CDT 2012

Hi All,

I will use the votes received on my ticket to propose a suggestion for
future voting rules. I am not discussing anything about the ticket
itself, nor promoting to change the voting results at the last meeting,
but just to suggest what would make sense for later. I'm just using my
ticket because the votes and reasons I received for this ticket covers a
lot if not all voting categories and reasons :-)

The ticket received 8 (yes) - 2 (no) - 6 (abstain) votes.
After contacting the people who voted no and abstain, this was a summary
of the reasons:

  * 1 NO vote, because of reason X
  * 1 NO vote, because of a misunderstanding
  * 2 abstain votes because of concerns Y and Z
  * 4 abstain votes because either the voters were attending the meeting
    for the first time and are not familiar with the ticket, or just do
    not understand what is being proposed or don't care. Some of them
    were aware that their votes means no, and some were not.

It totally makes sense to count the 2 NO votes, and 2 of the abstains to
be as NO votes, but it is ridiculous to count the last 4 abstains as NO
votes.
IMO what should happen is that the people who are abstaining because of
a certain concern should just vote NO (not abstain), and then we use the
old rule as pass = yes > no. If we go with the Japan rule then people
should just vote YES or NO, because the abstain category is useless.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Mohamad