[Mpi-forum] Process for chapter committee handling

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Fri Feb 24 16:32:18 CST 2012

Bill,

I would like to get your opinion about following process problem:

http://meetings.mpi-forum.org/standardization_process_3.pdf
describes the two processes for
 - "handled by the chapter committee", and
 - handled by "formal reading plus two votes".

The relation of our ticket-system to "formal reading plus two votes"
is self explaining.

The way of ticket-0 (i.e., grammer, type, formatting) changes is also
clear:
 - no ticket
 - goes directly into approved
 - will be read one meeting before chapter vote
   (we will search for "ticket0" in the pdf)
 - and is voted in by final chapter vote.

If a ticket-0 content has already a ticket number, the typically
path may be:
 - The chapter author takes the obvious content directly into
   the approved source trunk as ticket-0,
 - He adds a comment to the ticket that it is taken as ticket-0
   and already included into the approved trunk,
 - and he withdraws the original ticket.
Of course, such a ticket should never been withdrawn
before the ticket content is taken into the approved trunk.
It can be handled also with the method described below for small corrections.

How are small clarifications handled through our ticket system,
i.e., those clarifications that should keep there ticket number.

Which is the process for those tickets "handled by the chapter committee"?
The current way of withdrawing and probably forgetting for ever
is not a good process.

Should we add two additional values for priority:
 - instead of Scheduled:
   -- Scheduled (for forum)
   -- Scheduled (for chapter committee)
 - instead of Passed
   -- Passed by forum
   -- Passed by chapter committee

Then we have a clear process with two possibilities
 - Scheduled (for forum)
 - Had 1st reading
 - Had 1st vote
 - Passed by forum
or
 - Scheduled (for chapter committee)
 - Passed by chapter committee

Our rules at
http://meetings.mpi-forum.org/standardization_process_3.pdf
require that all changes not yet voted are read before the
meeting with the chapter-vote:
"All the minor and medium changes that have not been voted so far."

Should we mark these tickets that are "handled by the chapter
committee" somehow that we can go through these tickets very simple,
e.g., with 0.275 instead of 275.
Then we need only look for all ticket0 to find ticket0 and ticket0.275.

I.e., all tickets in status "Passed by chapter committee"
must have ticket 0.nnn numbers in the latex source.

All other tickets have their original number in the latex source.

What do you think about?

Best regards
Rolf