[Mpi-forum] Reserved MPI_ prefix & namespace in C and Fortran

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 25 09:16:33 CDT 2012

Good point - but the fix there is to mention this case and provide a forward reference.  As Nick notes, the intent here is clear - reserve all names that the Forum might use for future expansion of MPI.  Trying to be overly precise about what that means is error prone and accomplishes nothing - users can write programs without the ability to use MPI_ or PMPI_ (except for the profiling interface exception) as the beginning of a name.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign