[Mpi-forum] Reserved MPI_ prefix & namespace in C and Fortran

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Sat Aug 25 07:34:38 CDT 2012

So, while we are debating whether the wording is sufficient,
we are overlooking a far more important error in the restriction.
It is simply wrong. The standard is not consistent.

Specifically, when one uses the MPI profiling interface, the
mechanism is precisely to declare functions that begin with
MPI_. So the intent of the standard is that we are supposed
to violate that restriction. This issue has nagged at me in
the past but I have simply ignored it. However, I would oppose
increasing the scope of the restriction without fixing the
real inconsistency.