[Mpi-forum] Reserved MPI_ prefix & namespace in C and Fortran

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Fri Aug 24 14:57:35 CDT 2012

Dear all,

A few comments:

This a MPI-2 errata based on an existing inconsistency.
Therefore we do not want to rewrite the three sections.

We have three sections about the three languages.
Therefore we can use different wording appropriate to each language.

We do not discuss more than existing MPI_ in Fortran or C,
and MPI in C++.
_MPI is definitely an MPI-next topic, i.e. not part of MPI-2.

It is of course allowed to do it better in MPI-next.

For the time being, i.e., MPI-2 errata that should be fixed before
MPI-3 is done and therefore automatically in MPI-3.

The current proposal is simple:

C:
>   "Programs must not declare
       names (identifiers), e.g., for variables, functions,
       constants, macros, types, or namespaces,
>    beginning with the prefix MPI_."

Fortran:
>   "Programs must not declare
       names, e.g., for variables, parameters, functions,
       derived types, or abstract interfaces,
>    beginning with the prefix MPI_.

C++
>   "Programs must not declare
       names (identifiers), e.g., for variables, functions,
       constants, macros, types,
>    in the namespace MPI."

These sentences change only the middle part of the existing
sentences and fit into the sections.

If you want to provide a better wording,
then please provide the full sentence and check whether
you need more to change in the sections.

We need to come to a consensus about the wording.

And the sentence on C must also fir for C++ programmers
using the MPI C interface.

The reservation of MPI:: in MPI-3.0 is already described
in the sections about the removal of the C++ MPI interface.

Therefore, the proposed wording should be enough.

Okay?

Rolf