[Mpi-forum] 2011 meetings

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 8 09:01:51 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 06:37:05AM -0400, Rich L. Graham wrote:
> We went to Atlanta in the winter to avoid Chicago that time of year.
I never really understood this argument. We're not going on vacation and
Microsoft has heating in their facility afaik.

> If people are really against Atlanta - and I have only heard a small
> number of people that are against it and know that there are several
> in favor of it - we will just have Jan meeting in CA.  Last year most
> people preferred Atlanta to going to CA 3 times in a row.
I disagree to this. It's just a financial and balance question. It is a
stretch to go to CA for some of us who need to stay in tight budgets.
We should also take into account that the NSF funding will probably run
out this year.

> At this stage I will keep that meeting in Atlanta, unless more people
> speak up.
I think it is unreasonable to expect that a majority of the Forum will
speak up via email (or even read this thread :-). It would be reasonable
to do statistical sampling. I heard 4 people against Atlanta and 0 in
favor so far. Speak up!

All the Best,
  Torsten

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in