[Mpi-forum] The const proposal - Ticket 140
erezh at MICROSOFT.com
Wed May 27 12:48:28 CDT 2009
Hi all, I'm not really sure how to respond to this email. I will just note that this proposal has passed 1st vote last September with the following results.
4. Vote topic: MPI-2.2 const for C bindings, 1st vote:
since then we decided to postpone the 1st vote to add very few minor correction to ticket #46 (the original proposal) and thus created ticket #140.
I believe that all the points you mention below have been discussed in the forum meeting(s).
From: mpi-forum-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org [mailto:mpi-forum-bounces at lists.mpi-forum.org] On Behalf Of Richard Treumann
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:53 AM
To: Main MPI Forum mailing list
Cc: mpi-22 at lists.mpi-forum.org
Subject: [Mpi-forum] The const proposal - Ticket 140
The signatories of this letter represent the majority of MPI implementors participating in the MPI Forum. We are concerned that proposal #140 ("Add const Keyword to the C bindings") has a number of issues which suggest delaying to MPI-3 would be appropriate.
In particular, the proposal:
- Is likely to pass a simple majority vote, but does not carry the support of the majority of MPI implementors, suggesting consensus has not been reached.
- Changes 90+ MPI API interfaces, which is not a "trivial" change and therefore does not meet the intent of the MPI-2.2 process.
- Is not needed to fix any serious bug in the standard text or to solve an issue that cannot easily be avoided by the MPI application.
- Does not offer any demonstrable optimization opportunities for implementation or application, but may constrain future implementation opportunities.
Therefore, we ask for your assistance in deferring proposal #140 to the MPI-3 process, where more time can be spent assessing its impact.
- Cisco: Jeff Squires
- Intel: Alexander Supalov & Keith Underwood
- Sandia: Brian Barrett
- IBM: Richard Treumann
- QLogic: Avneesh Pant
- UTenn: George Bosilca
- HP: David George Solt
- UHouston: Edgar Gabriel
- Myricom: Patrick Geoffray
- ORNL: Richard Graham
- Sun: Terry Dontje
- NEC: Hubert Ritzdorf & Jesper Traeff
Dick Treumann - MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846 Fax (845) 433-8363
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the mpi-forum