[Mpi-forum] MPI-3 pre-proposal

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Apr 14 15:48:45 CDT 2008

I have a "pre-proposal" for the Forum, meaning that I have an idea but
want to see if others find it valuable before spending the time to
turn it into a formal proposal.

The general idea is to create a flexible mechanism to both pass hints
from the user application to the MPI implementation and to pass
information from the MPI implementation back to the application.  Some
rough ideas:

- Allow hints to be passed from the app to the implementation on a per-
handle basis (e.g., on a specific communicator)
- Allow hints to be passed from the app to the implementation for all
instances of a handle type (e.g., for all communicators)
- Allow hints to be specified before MPI_INIT, or create another
variant of MPI_INIT that allows passing hints
- Create a mechanism for an MPI implementation to pass arbitrary
information back to the user, perhaps in response to an arbitrary
query (maybe something along the lines of an MPI_Info in and and
MPI_Info out)

Comments?

Cisco Systems