[Mpi-22] Higher-level languages proposal

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Mon Oct 13 09:46:26 CDT 2008

Hi,

Thanks. The 2.1.1, which was presented last time, in my opinion does not
seem to solve the right problem. Instead of defining a way for
unambiguous addressing of the threads in MPI, which would eliminate the
MPI_Probe/Recv ambiguity and many other issues, it attempts to add yet
another concept (this time, a message id) in the current situation where
any thread can do what they please.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Jeff Squyres
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 4:24 PM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: [Mpi-22] Higher-level languages proposal

Doug Gregor did 98% of the work on this proposal, but it will likely
be Torsten or I presenting this proposal next week in Chicago (5-7pm
Monday).

The short version of the attached text is that we propose the following:

- add some extensions to MPI to allow higher-level languages to build
their own MPI bindings
- if all that works out nicely, deprecate and eventually remove the
official MPI C++ bindings

Don't let the proposal name fool you -- the features that we're
proposing are inspired by letting higher-level language build their
own bindings, but some of the issues (e.g., new MPI_BLOB datatype) are
fairly wide-reaching.  We haven't yet put a "2.2" or "3.0" label on
this proposal (which is why I have not entered it in the MPI-2.2
ticket system); I can see valid arguments for both sides.  More
feedback is required from the Forum first.

Cisco Systems
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052