[Mpi-22] Higher-level languages proposal

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Mon Oct 13 09:24:06 CDT 2008

Doug Gregor did 98% of the work on this proposal, but it will likely
be Torsten or I presenting this proposal next week in Chicago (5-7pm
Monday).

The short version of the attached text is that we propose the following:

- add some extensions to MPI to allow higher-level languages to build
their own MPI bindings
- if all that works out nicely, deprecate and eventually remove the
official MPI C++ bindings

Don't let the proposal name fool you -- the features that we're
proposing are inspired by letting higher-level language build their
own bindings, but some of the issues (e.g., new MPI_BLOB datatype) are
fairly wide-reaching.  We haven't yet put a "2.2" or "3.0" label on
this proposal (which is why I have not entered it in the MPI-2.2
ticket system); I can see valid arguments for both sides.  More
feedback is required from the Forum first.

Cisco Systems

*