[Mpi-22] Memory footprint concern

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri May 9 07:54:03 CDT 2008

Dear Bill,

Thanks. I would agree with you on that subsets are indeed not required,
but their clear definition in the standard would promote equally clear
and uniform implementation of the memory footprint minimizing approaches
you and Dick referred to. I guess static linkage is the easiest case for
this, as the linkers are smart enough nowadays to load only the required
parts of the library, provided it's appropriately structured. Again,
subsets may promote such a structuring.

Best regards.

Alexander

________________________________

From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of William Gropp
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 2:32 PM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] Memory footprint concern

On the memory footprint issue, I'd like to add that it is possible to
structure an MPI implementation to only require the code associated with
the routines that are used in the application, even when the application
must be statically linked (as is the case for Blue Gene/L, for example).
This can be done even if there are actions that the application needs or
wants to perform at the time of MPI_Finalize.  There are some things
that can be done to make this easier for the implementation, but (like
Dick) I'm not convinced that a subset is required as a way to limit the
memory footprint.

Bill

William Gropp
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052

*