[Mpi-22] Memory footprint concern

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at [hidden]
Fri May 9 13:34:33 CDT 2008

Imagine, for example, MPI running on a Cell SPE.  Yes, it sounds crazy,
but people are working on it.  If you look at the state in MPI-2 today,
and assume it will grow proportionally with complexity, MPI-3 could be
really nasty in that context.  So, while I agree that an arbitrarily
large number of permutations is a terrible idea for everyone involved
(implementers wouldn't leverage all of the options, ISVs wouldn't test
them, people who write third party libraries would have a huge headache
dealing with the arbitrary combination of features chosen by the
application), it seems like it would be prudent to try to figure out how
to provide some mechanisms in this direction. I don't know if this
overlaps with your idea about assertions or not, but they do seem to be
related.

Keith

________________________________

From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Richard
Treumann
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 3:12 AM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] Memory footprint concern

Hi Alexander

If we would envision defining subsets in such a way that a machine with
limited memory per node and un-fancy OS can clearly document what its
MPI offers, maybe it is not a huge addition to complexity. For example
if an MPI implementation could say it offers subsets:
MPI 1.2
MPI-IO
MPI-Intercomm Collectives
and nothing else and the meaning would be well defined that may not be
too bad.

If you are expecting such a machine to have all or most of MPI-3
available and each user would select only the parts he wants at job
launch time it seems to me the complexity for implementation and testing
will be prohibitive. In particular if you hope subsets will give better
performance because of what they leave out and really be compact because
they leave out most unneeded bytes of code the number of permutations
seem to me to make that a vain hope.

I have been ambivalent about whether my assertions proposal really has
much connection to the subsets concept mostly because I think to be
useful assertions must be fairly simple. The only assertion I am 100%
sure will pay off and be used is MPI_NO_EAGER_THROTTLE. There are MPI
implementations today that act as if the assertion MPI_NO_EAGER_THROTTLE
were present on all applications but that is not an option for a vendor
MPI because if somebody contacts service and says "Your MPI violates the
standard" a vendor like IBM must "fix" it. IBM MPI supports MPI_CANCEL
on MPI_ISEND but at least one MPI does not because it is "too
expensive". In effect they act like every application has the assertion
MPI_NO_SEND_CANCELS. IBM MPI could make use of MPI_NO_REQUEST_MIX if it
was available.

Dick

Dick Treumann - MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846 Fax (845) 433-8363

 "Supalov, Alexander" <alexander.supalov_at_[hidden]>

"Supalov, Alexander" <alexander.supalov_at_[hidden]>
Sent by: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]

05/08/2008 05:52 PM

Please respond to
"MPI 2.2" <mpi-22_at_[hidden]>

"MPI 2.2" <mpi-22_at_[hidden]>

cc

Subject

Re: [Mpi-22] Memory footprint concern

Dear Dick,

By the looks of it, MPI-3 is going to be big. Petascale machines may not
have OS we're accustomed to, dynamic libraries, and some other things.
Smaller system libraries - and smaller MPI - may be needed there. Some
of the envisioned MPI-3 features will be needed for some applications,
some won't. Same with MPI-2 and MPI-1. Defining subsets may help to open
a way to custom cut MPI libraries suitable for particular application
classes. How subsets will be implemented is a different matter.

Best regards.

Alexander