[Mpi-22] Memory footprint concern

William Gropp wgropp at [hidden]
Fri May 9 07:32:17 CDT 2008

On the memory footprint issue, I'd like to add that it is possible to
structure an MPI implementation to only require the code associated
with the routines that are used in the application, even when the
application must be statically linked (as is the case for Blue Gene/
L, for example).  This can be done even if there are actions that the
application needs or wants to perform at the time of MPI_Finalize.
There are some things that can be done to make this easier for the
implementation, but (like Dick) I'm not convinced that a subset is
required as a way to limit the memory footprint.

Bill

William Gropp
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

*