[Mpi-21] TODO - AUTHORS of MPI-2.1 - Workplan

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Mon Apr 7 13:36:58 CDT 2008

MPI-1 included the bindings issues / rationale information in an early
chapter because it provides the basis behind the bindings presented in
the rest of the document.  I still think that that's a good idea
(e.g., all of functions are MPI_<foo>, in C++ we have these basic
classes, etc.).

I think it would read pretty weird if you read the whole MPI-2.1
document and then in the last chapter you see "here's why all the
bindings are the way that they are".

That's why I proposed that this stuff be moved into a [new] chapter 3
-- keep the information at the beginning of the document, but it's now
big enough to be its own chapter.

My $0.02.  :-)

On Apr 7, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Bronis R. de Supinski wrote:

> [...]
>
> Bronis
>

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
>> The problem is that the text about language bindings is fairly
>> disjoint between chapters 2 and 13.  Indeed, chapter 13 is redundant
>> and out of order / inconsistent with regards to MPI-1 text in some
>> places *because* MPI-2 was a separate document.
>>
>> What about a slightly different proposal:
>>
>> 1. Move some of the existing Chapter 13/Language Bindings text into
>> the relevant parts in the rest of the 2.1 doc (e.g., move the C++
>> communicators discussion to the Right place in Chapter 5/Groups,
>> Contexts, Comms).
>>
>> 2. Make a new chapter 3: Language Bindings.  Put in it:
>>    - All C/Fortran language bindings text from Chapter 2/Terms&Conv
>>    - All remaining text from Chapter 13/Language bindings
>>
>> 3. Remove the [now empty] Chapter 13
>>

>> On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:48 AM, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:
>>> About Chap. 13, especially C++.
>>>
>>> I'm proposing (referencec to MPI-2.1 Draft Apr.1, 2008):
>>>
>>> - The MPI-2 Forum decided to put only small overview stuff into
>>> Chap. 2 Terms.
>>> (I want to recall, that in MPI-2 the Terms are rewritten for whole
>>> MPI,
>>> i.e., still valid in MPI-2.1)
>>> - The MPI-2 Forum decided to put all deeper information into
>>> extra sections of an additionally last chapter on Bindings.
>>> - The MPI-2 Forum already decided that normal C++ bindings
>>> should be after the Fortran bindings.
>>>
>>> - Terms, page 18, lines 36-39 clearly expresses, that all constants
>>> are
>>> given only in MPI_ notation and that C++ names (with MPI::)
>>> are given in Annex A.
>>> I.e., MPI_COMM_WORLD, MPI_FLOAT, MPI_PROC_NULL, ... should not
>>> to be translated everywhere in the chapters.
>>> Same for Table 3.2 on page 27.
>>>
>>> - There are important things were C++ clearly differs from C,
>>> e.g. the handling of the Status.
>>> I have already added the Status handling, see page 31 lines 23-32.
>>> (By the way, this information was missing in Chap. 13.1 and only
>>> available in the Annex A.)
>>>
>>> - I'm not aware, whether there are more such stuff, that is
>>> explained
>>> for C and Fortran and should be also explained for C++.
>>> Do you see an additional stuff like status?
>>>
>>> - I do not expect that it would be a good idee to move all the ugly
>>> Fortran problems (17 pages) to the beginning of thee book into
>>> Chap. 2 Terms.
>>> I would recommend same rule for C++ (12 pages).
>>> Chap.2 terms has only 16 pages - with 2 pages dedicated to Fortran,
>>> 1/2 page to C, and 3 pages to C++.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Rolf

>>> -------------

>>> Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner . . . . . . . . . .. email
>>> rabenseifner_at_[hidden]
>>> High Performance Computing Center (HLRS) . phone +
>>> +49(0)711/685-65530
>>> University of Stuttgart . . . . . . . . .. fax ++49(0)711 /
>>> Nobelstr. 19, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany . (Office: Allmandring 30)
>>

>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems