[mpiwg-tools] should there be an MPI_T_source_get_index?

Marc-André Hermanns hermanns at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 19 11:58:55 CST 2021

Hi Ken,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

> (no bug this time __)

Oh, thank goodness. (But it's a good thing that you found some of the
still existing caveats!)

> I am wondering if there should be a function to lookup a source
> index by name. There is for categories, cvars, events, and pvars. I
> stumbled upon this when modifying a test program
> (https://github.com/pmodels/mpich/blob/main/test/mpi/mpi_t/getindex.c)
> that gets the names of all available objects (cvars, pvars,
> categories), then looks up their index to verify it. I want to do
> the same for events and sources, but only events have that
> functionality in the text today.
The get_index_by_name function are usually convenience functions for
the user, as they like to specify the name of a variable (e.g., in an
environment variable) to have to tool pick that up (and only that
one). Using this, a tool would not have to iterate through all
existing variables/events.

Now, for sources, we did not anticipate yet that users would like to
address sources in the same manner.

You'd (the tool) probably just want to iterate over all sources and
then grab & save the info to be saved with the performance data.

Cheers,
Marc-Andre
--
Dr. rer. nat. Marc-André Hermanns

IT Center
Group: High Performance Computing
Division: Computational Science and Engineering
RWTH Aachen University
Seffenter Weg 23
52074 Aachen
Phone: +49 241 80-24381