[mpiwg-tools] Prefix of PMPI replacement interface

Marc-Andre Hermanns hermanns at jara.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Sep 29 09:07:45 CDT 2015

Dear all,

currently the working title of the PMPI replacement interface is QMPI.
While this is a nice homage to a system that I mostly enjoy working
on, it feels to me more like an "inside joke" lacking obvious relation
between name and function. Already the name PMPI was misleading, as it
eventually was used for more than just "profiling".

I would propose

MPI_C_

as a basis for discussion.

It blends in well with the new MPI_T API prefix and the C would stand
for "Callback". Furthermore, it describes what it _is_ rather that
being presumptuous about what you do with it or who it is for (tools,
ft, etc.).

What do you think? Do you have other ideas?

I know, a concrete name is not the most pressing issue we need to
attend in this context, yet, in my experiences naming discussions take
a long time, thus if we start this now, me might come to consensus by
the time we have the rest of the API fleshed out. ;-)

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

--
Marc-Andre Hermanns
Jülich Aachen Research Alliance,

Schinkelstrasse 2
52062 Aachen
Germany

Phone: +49 2461 61 2509 | +49 241 80 24897
Fax: +49 2461 80 6 99753
www.jara.org/jara-hpc
email: hermanns at jara.rwth-aachen.de