[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Kathryn Mohror kathryn at llnl.gov
Sat Nov 22 16:04:19 CST 2014

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback!

I made all the changes and agree with them for the most part (new document
attached). Comments inlined:

>p9:40-p10:1 reads:
>
>I'd change it to be:
>
>MPI implementations behave as if they have an internal character array
>that is copied to the output character array supplied by the user.  Such
>output strings are defined to be equivalent if their notional source
>internal character arrays are identical (up to and including the null
>terminator), even if the output string is truncated due to a small n
>length parameter.

"due to a small n length parameter." For some reason the word "small"
seems odd to me here. Do we want it to be more formal, and specify that
it's the input value of n that causes the truncation and that n could be
different on different processes?

>Nit picks
>=========
>
>1. p7:23-26 reads:
>
>I'd change the parenthetical to:
>
>Variables and categories across connected processes with equivalent names
>are required to have the same meaning (***please see the definition of
>"equivalent" as related to strings in*** Section 14.3.3).

I'm assuming you didn't mean the *** literally but to draw attention to
the change. Also, I'm not sure if Bronis will chime in to correct our
punctuation here, but I believe because the parenthetical text forms a
complete sentence we would need to treat it as such, i.e. With proper
capitalization and punctuation. However, I don't know for sure, so if
someone does, please speak up!

Thanks for the rest of your comments and the example of why we don't want
to include enumerations.

Kathryn