[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Sat Nov 22 07:45:48 CST 2014

In general, this is going in a good direction -- thanks for all the work while we were shanghaied by SC!

I have one major suggested change and several nit picks to the version Kathryn sent Nov 21 at 11:48am:

Major change
============

p9:40-p10:1 reads:

Because the string length argument, n, to these routines influences the number of characters returned, and because the value of n could differ across MPI processes, strings returned from query routines that represent the same entity across connected processes must be equivalent according to the following definition. Strings are equivalent if the MPI implementation behaves as if it has an identical character array in each MPI process for the string in question across connected processes. The contents of the returned string will be identical to that of the internal character array, but possibly truncated at any process that supplies an n value to the query routine that is smaller than the length of the internal character array.

I'd change it to be:

MPI implementations behave as if they have an internal character array that is copied to the output character array supplied by the user.  Such output strings are defined to be equivalent if their notional source internal character arrays are identical (up to and including the null terminator), even if the output string is truncated due to a small n length parameter.

Nit picks
=========

1. p7:23-26 reads:

Variables and categories across connected processes with equivalent names are required to have the same meaning (For the definition of equivalent as it relates to strings in this section, please refer to Section 14.3.3).

I'd change the parenthetical to:

Variables and categories across connected processes with equivalent names are required to have the same meaning (***please see the definition of "equivalent" as related to strings in*** Section 14.3.3).

3. p7:27-28 says:

For example, variables describing the number of packets sent on heterogeneous network devices should have different names to reflect their potentially different meanings.

I'd change it to be:

For example, variables describing the number of packets sent on ***different types of*** network devices should have different names to reflect their potentially different meanings.

I know that "heterogeneous" means "different types", but that word carries a different connotation here, IMHO -- "heterogeneity" is somewhat of a loaded word in HPC environments (e.g., it's usually applied to processors and brings up a slightly confusing context here -- so let's just avoid it).

Enumerations

Yes, enumerated values must *not* be defined as equivalent.

I have a concrete example why they should not be equivalent:

- Remember that I want to use enumerated values to contain information about the underlying network
- The network interface used by MPI processes on server A has network address "A.B.C.D", but the NI used by MPI processes on server B has address "W.X.Y.Z".