[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Fri Nov 21 04:38:16 CST 2014

Hi all,

> I have an issue with the new text. I'm not sure if I'm missing a
> point, but for me the equivalence text is redundant. I fail to see a
> difference between (page 9, lines 43ff)
>
> Strings are equivalent if the MPI implementation behaves as if it has
> an identical character array in each MPI process for the string in
> question across connected processes. The contents of the returned
> string will be identical to that of the internal character array, but
> possibly truncated at any process that supplies an n value to the
> query routine that is smaller than the length of the internal
> character array.

I also think this covers all cases.

a) a string is equivalent to its internal "source" if it behaves as if
being copies from it up the the given length.

b) two strings are equivalent when they behave as if the originate from
an identical source.

> and (page 10, lines 1ff)
>
> Two strings are equivalent if the internal character array for each
> MPI process is identical by a character-by-character comparison, and
> in the output buffer, any arbitrary combination of length arguments
> result in the same string-prefix up to the smaller of the two lengths.
>
> So I'll probably would remove the second part (although I still like
> the wording).
>
> Any opinions on that?

I talked to Michael on this, and I also think the second part can be
omitted.

> The rest looks fine so far.

dito.

Cheers,