[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Michael Knobloch m.knobloch at fz-juelich.de
Fri Nov 21 03:56:49 CST 2014

Hi all,

I have an issue with the new text. I'm not sure if I'm missing a
point, but for me the equivalence text is redundant. I fail to see a
difference between (page 9, lines 43ff)

Strings are equivalent if the MPI implementation behaves as if it has
an identical character array in each MPI process for the string in
question across connected processes. The contents of the returned
string will be identical to that of the internal character array, but
possibly truncated at any process that supplies an n value to the
query routine that is smaller than the length of the internal
character array.

and (page 10, lines 1ff)

Two strings are equivalent if the internal character array for each
MPI process is identical by a character-by-character comparison, and
in the output buffer, any arbitrary combination of length arguments
result in the same string-prefix up to the smaller of the two lengths.

So I'll probably would remove the second part (although I still like
the wording).

Any opinions on that?

The rest looks fine so far.

- -Michael