[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Kathryn Mohror kathryn at llnl.gov
Wed Nov 19 10:38:14 CST 2014

Hi Marc-Andre,

>I think we don't have to search&replace the word string for <foo> string
>throughout the chapter. I think we only need to define <foo> string in
>14.3.3 and then state for the 6 parameters so far that those are foo
>strings.

Okay, I'll work on it and try to integrate it cleanly.

>By and large <foo> strings are just like other C string. We just have
>additional requirements to what "identical" means. That is why I came up
>with the name: "quasi-identical", because they are not identical in the
>normal C string sense (str*cmp). As "quasi-identical" is a new kind of
>string, that probably no-one heard in a different context, so has no
>preoccupation on what it could mean, a reader should go: "What's that?"
>and refer to Section 14.3.3.
>
>What's the groups take on the name "quasi-identical"?

I'm not totally sold on 'quasi-identical' but possibly because I don't use
the prefix 'quasi' very often. Also, I almost think that it takes away
from the fact that the internal representation of the strings does need to
be identical, but what is passed to the user may be different due to
truncation.

That said, I don't have a replacement suggestion right this second.

>Should we have an "out-of-order" telco tomorrow to discuss this? As we
>need to finalize our wording by Monday in order for 383 to be an errata,
>I think we need to make progress before the weekend.

I'm not sure if that will work with everyone at SC. It would coincide with
the 10:00 AM technical papers sessions. I suppose though if people pipe up
that they would be able to join, that would be good and I would be able to
be on the call. Of course, as you say in your post script, we could pick
another time, too.

Kathryn