[mpiwg-tools] proposed text

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Tue Nov 18 14:41:23 CST 2014

Hi Kathryn,

if I understood right its a bit of both. We want to indicate that "our"
strings (or their handling) are different from the rest of the standard,
hence "MPI_T string" would be a good start. However, as I understand
Jeff, it implies that "this is how MPI_T handles strings everywhere" and
if we need some other handling of strings in MPI_T, we are then stuck
with a name that implies the full scope of MPI_T when it does not
provide it.

What about "quasi-identical" strings to explicitly name what we want to
express. Something along the lines of:

Quasi-identical strings in MPI_T are strings that behave as if they are
generated by a prefix-copy operation from a common source up to the
length provided locally to the call returning the string.

With something like this, we could then say, "foo" is a quasi-identical
strings as discussed in 14.3.3, wherever we need it, e.g., for name and
desc in the respective calls.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

On 18.11.14 21:25, Kathryn Mohror wrote:
> I'm a bit lost on the intended meaning behind the name: <foo> strings.
>
> Do you want <foo> strings to indicate all strings in the MPI tool
> information interface that are by our definition in 14.3.3 treated
> differently than in the rest of the standard? And then have a concept of
> identical <foo> strings and specify what is returned in the user's buffer
> for identical <foo> strings?
>

> Or is <foo> strings supposed to only indicate strings that if identical,
> have a particular defined behavior that determine what is returned into
> the user's buffer according to our string conventions in 14.3.3?
>
> Thanks,
> Kathryn

>>> MPI_T strings?
>>
>> Mmm.  That would imply that these are the *only* type of strings that are
>> used in MPI_T.  That may be true today, but I don't know if we want to be
>> locked in to that generalization for forever.
>>
>> How about "MPI_T universal strings"?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> jsquyres at cisco.com

Marc-Andre Hermanns
Jülich Aachen Research Alliance,
High Performance Computing (JARA-HPC)
German Research School for Simulation Sciences GmbH

Schinkelstrasse 2
52062 Aachen
Germany

Phone: +49 241 80 99753