[Mpi3-tools] Tools side document future work

Schulz, Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Thu May 30 11:55:20 CDT 2013

On May 30, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Kathryn Mohror <kathryn at llnl.gov>
 wrote:

> Hi Ahn, all,
>
> These are the future work items for the tools side document that I know about.
>
> From our wiki page:
> 	• A scalable version of a process acquisition interface to identify and locate all processes which are part of an MPI job.
> 	• An interface to look for and locate tool DLLs.
> 	• An interface to inspect message queues.
> 	• An interface to understand progress in collective communication.
> 	• An interface to query additional semantic information for opaque MPI handles.
> 	• An MPI morph layer (and the necessary requirements to make this work)
> I don't know what the MPI morph layer is. Maybe Jeff or Martin have this information?

The morph layer came from the idea of how can we add a small tool layer on top of MPI A, so that a code compiled for MPI B can run on top of MPI A. I don't think this will be that easy to do and I am not sure if this is something for the side document, since it would probably require changes in the first party interface.

Martin