[Mpi3-tools] Tools WG webex: tomorrow!

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 2 15:58:28 CDT 2013

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote on Mon, 1 Jul 2013 at 15:19:33

> Fab --
>
> I thought that you and Anh had found a specific place where you claimed that
> the current system was mandated to invoke the attribute delete callbacks at
> FREE time, not object destruction time.
>
> Can you cite what that was?  (I'm not sure if you're on the mpi3-tools list; if
> you're not, I can forward your reply)

Yes, and Dave highlighted the relevant section, specifically the paragraph starting on page 269 line 40:
"This function is called by MPI_COMM_FREE ... to do whatever is needed to remove an attribute.  The function returns ... an error code on failure (in which case MPI_COMM_FREE will fail)."

The second sentence defines behavior, and IMO eliminates any question as to the meaning "is called by".

-Fab